Jan 16, 2013

DIY Victorian Curtains - Burgundy, Antique White


For the living room, I made this burgundy/dark red curtain out of silk with a lace valance. My couch is also a deep burgundy color, and all my kitchen items are either black or crimson red, so the color ties in well with the rest of the apartment as well.



It is not too difficult to make this curtain. I used 3 yards of burgundy silk, measured my windows and cut to the length and width I wanted. To have the nice folded effect, cut the curtain width to 1 and a half times the actual width of the window.




Then sew up the sides and bottom edges of the curtain.You will also need to sew a 3 inch line under the top to allow to put in a curtain rod. To add the valance, line up the lace to the top of the curtain, and sew first at the top, then at the line just made for the curtain rod. The lace of the valance can be finished or unfinished. I finished the sides and top with a hem, and left the bottoms free edged.



For the bedroom, my husband desired a calming effect, so I decided to a similar style curtain in antique white to have a more romantic goth feel. It seems a little too peaceful (boring) for my taste, so I am going to add a dark or embroidered overlay in the future. However, until I have time and money for another trip to the fabric store, this will have to do.


The bedroom curtains are made in a similar method as the living room curtains, but I choose a crushed satin in antique white and antique white lace. I also decided to add the lace valance a few inches from the top of the crushed satin, so a litle sunlight can come in as the room has the least light coming in, and I hate blasting tons of lights, which does a number on my light bill as well as the environment.



No comments:

Post a Comment