Mar 2, 2012

Introverted HSP vs. Extrovert HSP

Some highly sensitive people are also extroverts or High Sensation Seeking. This article goes into it very well: Highly Sensitive People who are also High Sensation Seeking

At first, I thought that perhaps I am a high sensation seeker because I can be very social and I make acquaintances quickly. I also don't fear public speaking more than most people, have no problem taking leadership roles and also enjoy positive praise for my hard work. I also enjoy new experiences, such as traveling and meeting and getting to know people of different cultures and experiences. I also enjoy walks alone, sitting in a cafe and quietly observing people or reading a good book by myself.

I feel the intense need to retreat to re-cooperate after socializing.  I need a few minutes alone every day and cannot be around people all day or else I feel drained. These are qualities of HSPs as well as introverts. However, if I stay home too much, I become jaded, down and loose energy. So, it seems that I acquire energy both from being alone and from being in the world. Curious to see if I am indeed a high sensation seeker, I took the HSS test, and scored 11, with 11 or more qualifying one as a high sensation. So I guess I am borderline. On a strictly Sensation Seeking Test, I scored 22 out of 40. Again, quite borderline.

Taking the Jung Test, I always place as an INTJ, with my introversion always being between  22-44%, which is slightly to moderately introverted. I am very reflective, analytical and enjoy working alone, but I also enjoy breaks to speak with a few people or just to go out and be in the world.

Curious to see what strictly introversion-extroversion tests would say, I got took the following.

This strictly Introversion Extroversion test gives me the result of being a being a balanced introvert extrovert:

Your extroversion level is 52%

This means that you are well-balanced, not too concentrated on you inner life, but at the same time you don't depend on the outside world too much. You like either spending time with other people, or staying on your own analyzing your inner world and talking to yourself. Write us if you enjoyed this test.


This one, place me as a balanced Introvert Extrovert as well with my extroversion being 45%.

Extrovertedness: 45%
 The Introvert-Extrovert Test
says that I'm Balanced

What does it mean?
You are fairly balanced in your introvert-extrovert personality. You like going out, but like to have time to yourself as well. You typically have a few great friends, and many that you can hang around with.

Extroverts:
-have motives and actions that are directed outward.
-are more prone to action than contemplation.
-are typically very friendly to unknown people.
-feel empowered in social situations.

Introverts:
-have motives and actions that are directed inward.
-tend to be preoccupied with their own thoughts and feelings.
-minimize their contact with other people.



My Conclusion:

I am definitely a HSP and an introvert because much more than the need to interact and experience new things is my need to reflect and have time alone. However, the Jung tests are very accurate in placing me as a "moderate introvert", rather than a distinct or very distinct introvert. My social skills are developed enough, and I am not shy, but it seems that many INTJs are also very confidence. Perhaps we are more at ease with being introverts and show it through our quiet confidence. I am not always comfortable with social situations where I have little in common with others, but I don't fear or shrink from them, but rather see them as a challenge that I like to take on every now and then. Sometimes we can learn a lot though uncomfortable situations. Furthermore, INTJs are not only analytical and reflective, but they also enjoy taking action. Sometimes to take action and make changes, we have to engage in the world, take leadership and social roles, and I am glad I enjoy it enough to do so. Please tell me your thoughts.

I read this article on being an Introverted Extrovert, and it totally describes me as I believe that I am an introvert who is adept with certain extroverted tendencies.

Do any other INTJs think and relate similarly?

No comments:

Post a Comment