Feb 29, 2012

Introverted vs Highly Sensitive Person

It's interesting in our outward based society how different temperaments can be misconstrued.

My Jung Typology test indicates that I am moderately introverted (44%). However, I have no trouble making friends, being social, striking up conversations with strangers, and although I am quiet at times when I am observing a situation, I cannot recall an instance, even as a child when it was due to shyness or timidity. I have met people who say they are introverted, and who are socially awkward, but although I may feel anxiety at times, I quite natural with my social graces and behavior. I also enjoy being out and about and experiencing new things. However, I also enjoy being alone or just one on one with a friend, and social activity every day, except for with my few closest friends who are like me, leaves me feeling drained, and desperately craving alone time to recharge my batteries after social activity. I also like spending lunch breaks alone at work, but have made exceptions for a few coworkers over the years. I used to tell people that I am introverted because of this need to be alone at time and recharge and because I dislike large crowds. However, people took my saying that I am introverted to mean that I did not feel comfortable or natural socializing. Consequently, introversion has to do with where one gets one energy from. It is not shyness or social awkwardness, and most people think. Shyness and social awkwardness occurs in people who desire to be more social or lack social skills. Some introverts are also shy, but so are some extroverts. I obtain my energy recharge internally and from being alone as well as from new experiences and sensations in the world. After too much outward activities though, I feel overwhelmed. This led me to be unsure of whether I am introverted or extroverted for a long time. I never felt that introverted descriptions aptly fit me or extroverted ones.

Then I discovered one of the books that changed my life: Elaine Aaron's The Highly Sensitive Person for it really changed my understanding of myself. I realized that while I do lean more toward introversion, I am not an extreme introvert, but I am definitely highly sensitive from being affected by loud noises, having a very sensitive body to allergies, my need to be alone due to overwhelm of stimuli, and being able to sense and feel a room or a person's moods very strongly. However, when I tell people that I am highly sensitive, they assume that I am emotionally sensitive and just emotional in general. This couldn't be furthest from the truth because I am a true INTJ because I am very logical and analytical. I even analyze my emotions. High sensitivity related to sensory and biological sensitivity more than emotions. So, I have then stopped telling people I am a HSP, because I find it extremely aggravating when people assume I am emotionally sensitive and delicate (not that there is anything wrong with that. I have a close friend who is very sensitive and I love that about her. However, it is very much not me). I know for sure that I am an HSP as described by Dr. Aaron.

Only 30% of HSPs are extroverted and many assume that the need to withdraw due to over-stimulation is due to introversion, but that is not always the case. Sometimes, you know instinctively when something describes you.

This article explains my point of view quite aptly and explores the relationship and differences between HSP and introversion, check out this great article: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/attending-the-undervalued-self/201107/understanding-the-highly-sensitivity-person-sensitive-int

What I have learned from people's feedback is that it is not necessary to tell people what you are, especially if you are doing so in an effort to make them understand you because there are preconceived notions prevalent in society about some labels. If they are interested, you can perhaps describe your character trait and then explain high sensitivity, and then send them an article or get them a book on it. However, I find it quite cumbersome, and it appears so self-centered to go to such great lengths to explain and talk about yourself for as long as it will take to clear up the mis-assocations. Even some of my wonderful friends have made a mis-association when I told them I was more introverted and a HSP. These concepts are great to learn about so that you can understand yourself and learn how to maneuver in your own life and in the world in a manner that utilizes your greatest strengths and enables you to build build coping skills in regards to your weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment