Dec 3, 2011

Downshifting: Enjoy Life on a Budget

I found this great article on downshifting that really struck a chord with me. I really answered questions I wondered about downshifiting, such as whether it is selfish to want to live like this, etc. (BTW, the answer to the above question is no because when you are living in alignment with your values, you are happy and will be an example of joy to other.)
I would also like to add that a great way to start downshifiting is:

1. Only spend money on necessities, such as food and the bills. Clothes do not count because I am sure that you have enough clothes to last you. Really, I have seen co-workers with 7 shirts that they wear over and over, and I think nothing of it, and others won’t either unless they are superficial. If they are, their opinions are hollow, and you do not want to care about them anyway. Also, there are people in many poor countries that have 3-4 outfits to their name, and they exist happily and productively. While you do not have to go to such an extreme, I know that I am definitely paring down ruthlessly. Avoid stores or areas where you are prone to shop, at least until you get a hang of resisting them.

2. Eliminate all items that have no value to your present and future endeavors or life goals. For me, I have already put my fashion jewelry, office supplies (pens, staplers, hole punchers, pins, stationary), a few books, ALL synthetic clothing (having only natural fabrics remind me of my desire to live a green lifestyle) and clothing I have not worn in a year, shoes, in a donation bag. In the garbage – all makeup (except 3 eyeliners, 1 mascara, 1 concealer, 2 lipglosses, 1 lipstick), all magazine clippings except for a few articles and a few recipes.

3. Buy small loads of grocery and consume everything that you buy in a week or two week span. Buying less means less is wasted and you have less to carry home or store. You will also make healthier choices if you limit yourself to a few grocery items weekly except for staples such as rice or pasta. For instance, I buy a pound of pork, a pound of chicken, 2 veggies, 2 snacks (Hubby eats meat. I eat mostly vegetarian, but eat seafood 2-3 times a week as recommended by my doctor). I keep pasta or rice as a staple in the house because they go with everything.

4. Cook at home. Eat out no more that once every two weeks or once a week. Cooking at home can be time consuming, so I cook a large pot once every other day. For instance, I do a pot or curry and rice, or pasta, or an Asian pork dish (for hubby) and veggies. I don’t know a whole lot of dishes, but the ones I do are excellent. If you are not a cook, start with a few dishes and keep trying until you perfect them. Easy dishes to start with are pasta or omelettes. When I am really hungry, and don’t want to spend alot on food, I will also eat cereal or oatmeal. Beware of this though because it will get boring if you eat it too much, and your tastebuds will scream for more flavor.

5. Limit contact with friends with expensive habits. An old friend of mine always likes to go to very expensive restaurants. She is very image conscious, so I think sometimes it is to say she has eaten there. She also knows some good food places though. I limit eating with her to once a month because of course, we go to a cafe afterwards, which is pricey also. I have told her that I am unemployed and on a budget, but when she was not making alot of money, she spent alot and incurred debt, so I don’t think she understands being thrifty. I think from now on, I will eat before I see her, and just join her for desert. She also likes to shop, so to not be tempted, I limit our meetings now to 2 hours so there is not time for her to pull me into tagging along to shop.

6. Save on bills (and help the environment) by turning off lights and electronic during the day. Unplug appliances when not in use. I usually only keep my computer plugged in during the day, and turn it off at night when I am not using it or when I go out.

7. Look for cheap or free community events. You can google it. I have found a few symphonies and movies in the park in NY. They can get crowded, and that is not always my thing, so I also go to museums that have a small suggested donation or cheaper plays and readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment