Dec 3, 2011

Simple Wardrobe Shopping Rules

The Story of Stuff is a short video that really drives home the impact that our spur of the moment decisions and desires may make on the world. The truth is that we often shop for the thrill of the moment, and don't think of the origin or end life of the products that we purchase.

As advised in the video, I decided that I would not purchase a lot of new stuff, namely clothing and shoes, so I will use the money and time spend on those items on things more pertinent to my to my life goals, like books that I plan on reading and rereading. This also reduces the carbon footprint and energy and emissions caused to produce new items, and adds to items going to the landfill later. Even with books, on topics that I am just curious about, I am just going to borrow from the library because let’s face it, I live in New York in a studio and can’t store all those books here.   


SHOPPING RULES FOR THOSE DESIRING A SIMPLER, SUSTAINABLE LIFESTYLE

1. Don’t buy things just because they are on sale. Buy them because you need them. You do not need them if you have 3 of the same items already in your closet.

2. Only buy items that fit correctly and are you size. The time or money that you spend to mend these items could be spent doing more productive things. I have bought a lot of clothing that was a size larger because I can sew and alter them. Recently, though, my sewing machine broke, and I have had to mend them by hand. I realized that half of my clothing do not fit me, and now I have to mend them. I would not have bought so many articles of clothing that were not my size if I did not have a sewing machine. By buying only clothes that fit, I will end up buying less.

3. Do not follow trends, and buy clothes based on what’s new in fashion or in the stores. Only buy clothes that look well on you. Make sure you try each article of clothing (save for underwear – wash first) to make sure it fits and flatters your body type. By doing this, you will not have to worry about what you are
going to wear and what looks good on you in the morning, because you will like every item in your closet. This will also eliminate the amount of clothing that you take into your home.

4. Group or list your current clothing into categories so that you can exactly what you need and what you have enough of. The 4 major categories are work, casual, home/lounge and formal. You will need more work clothes than casual, more causual than formal and more formal than lounge. Restrict to three or even two categories if you can. Some items can serve more than one category. For instance, I sometimes wear my work shirts with jeans or a causal mini skirt. I also wear my sweaters for work and casual in the winter.

5. Limit the items in each category according to your need and use. Keeping track on your items on a written list or photo list (take pictures and print out or store in your computer) helps ensure that you keep it to that amount. I try not to go over my limits. When I do, I find something that I do not love or use, and donate it.


6. For every item that you bring into your home, donate one of the same category that you have in your closet.
es If you do not have any clothes of a certain category, such as if you are a student that needs to get work clothes for their first job, think about throwing an item out for a category that you may not use much anymore, such as that old hoodie that you wore to class (lounge category). 

7. Don’t buy or keep items that you think will fit you someday – i.e. if you loose or gain weight. If you loose weight, and can alter your own items without taking too much time or know somewhere you can alter them cheaply, do so. If you gain weight and keep it on for over 1 year, and have spent some time trying to loose it, you may need to be a little realistic and realize that you will not fit into the clothing anytime soon. What is the use of it storing up in your closet and making you feel bad when you see it, when you can donate it. The same goes for those who have tried to gain weight for over a year. It maybe time to donate the clothes and buy clothes that fit in a thrift store if you are on a budget or in an outlet.

8. Don’t feel compelled to shop just because your friends are shopping. We are social beings and are affected by the actions and activities around us. If you feel that you will be tempted to shop, or will become influence by consumerism, make sure you prepare yourself mentally before you go out with these friends by thinking about simplicity, sustainability and your  path.

No comments:

Post a Comment