Dec 21, 2011

Simple Holiday Decorating


I like to keep colors steam-lined and to a minimum when decorating because too many details takes away from the items, and it appears tacky or kitschy. I am a creature of habit, and generally decorate in blue and silver with a few splashes of red, or with just red and silver, or green and silver with a few splashes of red. I reuse the decorations usually, but in different arrangement as they would allow. My apartment is too small to have a Christmas tree, so I just decorate my living room windows as you see in the picture and add an arrangement of poinsettias or burgundy or dark red roses to the kitchen table. My kitchen appliances are either red or black, so they add the red color for the season also. :)

I made the bows from fabric gift ribbons, and arranged small Christmas tree ornaments to jazz up the silver bells. I also added small Christmas tree ornaments to a plain wreath to add some color to it. They were all strategically taped to the wall as my landlord says I will loose my security if I make holes on the wall.

My husband thinks I'm funny because I decorate for Christmas, though we are not Christian, but I enjoy decorating, & also like the spirit of the season because people generally seem a bit kinder & more considerate. Plus, I am accepting of religions & beliefs as long as people are not trying to convert me or condemn me because I am not of their faith.

I originally had the decoration below, but my husband said it looks like a smiley face. lol. So, I took it down, and replaced with the first image. I actually ended up liking the even simpler look above because it looks more elegant and minimalist.

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog and want to subscribe to it, but my computer isn't letting me.I will try again in the morning.You have some wonderful thoughts on the subject...My husband and I decided that we are not buying anything this next year that isn't necessary,such as food, or health/beauty products. Today, we uncluttered our papers;some of which we have had in a file box for over fifteen years.It felt like a weight off my shoulders!Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi happyathome,

    Happy New Year. I do hope that you were able to subscribe to my blog, and I thank you very much for reading. Congratulations on making the move to declutter. Taking that first step is the hardest part, especially after 15 years. :) Do let me know how your progress goes on not buying anything. It is a wonderful, though difficult goal, and I applaud you for undertaking it. Hope to hear your comments again.

    ReplyDelete