Dec 3, 2011

Step 1 to A Simpler Life - Simplify Your Interests & Thoughts

No, I don't mean don't think deep thoughts, but rather be selective about what you give your attention to as well as the necessity of having a clear vision of what a simple life means to you.

Decluttering my magazine collection has given me a very important realization. It is that to live a minimalist life externally, we need to live a minimalist life internally as well.

Being an ardent bibliophile, who hates to throw away anything with words, save for superficial magazines, it was quite a feat to sort through about 70 magazines. I have canceled many of my magazine publications that I am not really interested in, but I was still left with the problem of a large, accumulated pile. Since there are so many magazines that have accumulated, that also used so many trees and because I like to read, I felt compelled to read all the articles. Yet this is quite impossible, and not useful as I have tons of books that I would also like to read that would actually add value to my life. So, I made a decision to not start reading any articles that did not jive with my interests.

This was difficult for me because I feel that we always need to keep our interests wide to have a well rounded life. I have realized that many interests may not be always a good thing though because there is such a thing as too many interests. I liken it to learning a language – if we try to learn too many languages at once, we will never get good at any of them. So I had to really think about the things that inspire me or push me forward, that I am totally engrossed in, and these are my passions and true interests. For me, I realize that my interests are: minimalist/green living, literature, biographies on writers and sages, spirituality, natural food (though I do eat seafood), archeology, psychology, and of course, improving myself internally and in my job.

Compiling my interest list made me realize that as much as I have geared over to a simpler life, I failed to streamline my internal life (thoughts, interests), which is absolutely essential to live a minimalist life because it becomes your locus of control. As I look back, I realize that having this locus of control keeps me from accumulating unnecessary things, such as clothing, since although I like to look nice, trends are not in my core interest. Isolating your core interests can help you to live a minimalist/simple because when you declutter and minimize your possessions, you can make the decisions to keep things that only pertain to your interests and that add value to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment