Jan 2, 2012

Job Hunting Reflections & Simplicity

In 2008, I took on a part time job as a paralegal (3 days a week), and was thrilled about it for several reasons. While, it does not pay as much as some other jobs, and has no benefits, such as health and life insurance, it frees up time for me, which is invaluable. The job was less stress than a working in a financial firm, and more stable of course, with the recent economic crisis, and the people are a lot nicer as it is a smaller law firm than the one I worked for before. So at the end of the day, I took home less, but I am not living based on the amount I make a day, but rather by the satisfaction that I get that I actually enjoy working with the people I work with. There was a little stress because I was learning new things like we do at any new job, but the people are nice, so it is not too intense.

Making less went with the simpler lifestyle because I received less money, so I had to be very careful about what I spend that money on, so that I have enough for necessities and bills. The rewards were worth it because on my free days, I could actually do things that I enjoy that bring me more joy than money, such as reading a book or attending a lecture.I know many people have full time jobs, and am not saying they are bad as I was looking for a full time job myself. However, you have to see the beauty in every situation, so this is my take on my current situation. I have learned that the worse thing that you can do is to take a job that compromises who you are. I could have gotten certain full time jobs in finance that pay more and have alot of benefits, but I was not  willing to do something that I disliked, and felt no personal growth in as math and finance are not my forte.

I read once that you see someone’s character and who they are not by what they say or think, but by what they do. As such, I am trying to make the things I do align with who I am as a person, my values, interests and long term goals. Should you be at a crossroads with a job or any other situation in your life, remember the better decision is always the one that allows you to be true to yourself. In trying to be true to yourself, think of the times career wise (or relationship wise if that is your crossroad) that you experienced joy and what you were doing. What made you feel happy in those moments. Was it because you were helping someone? Was it because you mastered something intellectually or solved a problem at work? Was it that your interest peaked in the subject that you were working with? Don’t let your ego enter into this thinking process. While all of us want to be accepted and approved by others on some level, we have to leave that out for a short time when trying to get to know ourselves. So, if you think something will win you approval from another person, it is an indication that you need to recenter yourself again. Above all, be patient with yourself and be mindful of what you are thinking and feeling. Also, follow the old adage to sleep on it. Wise decisions should not be rushed.

I am currently unemployed, and studying for grad school, while also job hunting. Reflecting on that earlier time when I had a part-time job reminds me not to give up my freedom for any job that comes by because freedom is truly worth more than money to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment