Jan 2, 2012

Socializing & Consumerism

I hung out with two friends who like to shop, and although I have been getting a handle on shopping by keeping mindful of this new minimalist/voluntary simplicity lifestyle I have had since the beginning of this year, I got drawn in a little. I did not shop with my friends, but after hanging with them, I felt that I needed certain items. I held out on getting anything, but I have been interviewing for jobs, and stressed about getting a job, and I let my resolve to not shop go, and shopped. I have realized that when I hang with certain people who like to shop, or who care a lot about image, I feel compelled to shop as well. It is not their fault that they are who they are, and I am totally responsible for my actions, but I see now why people try to hang with others in their lifestyle because as social beings, we tend to do things that those close to us are engaged in. I am unaffected by strangers, but I realize that I do get influenced by friends. Some people have even taken the extra mile and made simplicity circles to hang with people who will help them on the path. I either need to be reading and thinking about simplicity daily or start hanging with people who are less focused on consumerism.

No comments:

Post a Comment