Jan 5, 2012

Simple / Minimal Living is a Path

I often say that I am on the path to a minimalist lifestyle. I have not achieved the degree of minimalism as I would like, but nonetheless, I am still persuing this path. There are some people who have only 100 items total or 20 items in their wardrobe. For this reason, some extreme minimalist will say I am a fry cry from being a minimalist, so now I prefer to say that I am trying to live a more simple, minimal lifestyle because no matter how much I minimize, I don't believe my lifestyle would allow 20 items of clothing unless I move to a location where there are not extreme temperatures ranging from 100 to 0 degrees as in New York and unless I work from home. 

That being said, I believe that a simpler life or a minimalist path is not the same for everyone. We all have different reasons to embark on this path, and different life needs and backgrounds. We need to be more compassionate with people and see how their lives may necessitate different things than ours. Minimalism is not a competition, or a one size fits all lifestyle, but a path. The career path that I am in (law) requires strictly business wardrobe, not even business casual clothing. I meet clients often, and am judged on my image as a result, so I can’t wear 5 outfits every single week. I have pared down my choice in colors to red, nude pink, ivory, black and grey (pants) so that makes mixing and matching easier, but people notice if you’re wearing the same 5 things all the time. I am also quite busy, and do not have a laundromat in or close to my building, so I cannot do laundry a few times a week, so thereby need more clothing than some because things get dirty and smelly in New York. :)


I have reduced my items even more since I last posted the clothing items I own this post and I am indeed still trying to pare things down because it is an ongoing process as we bring things in and as things change in our lives. That being said, please consider my lifestyle:

With all that being said, I’m sure many people in my position do not dare to become minimalist even a bit. In fact, I know none, though will be glad to meet any so we can share tips. I know I will never be as minimalist as some people are with just 50 items or  who work from home, have more laid back jobs or live where the seasons are not so dramatic from one another.  However, I am trying to only keep what I use consistently, and not purchase superfluous things that I don’t use or need. I also try to purchase things from an ecological standpoint if I can afford them, but sometimes I can’t. I don’t eat animal flesh 80% of the time (20% flexible when I visit the homes of others or there are no nutritional options like tofu or eggs in restaurants as I am allergic to wheat flour products, such as seitan. In these cases, I will consume only seafood.)

As they say in yoga practice, a little sustained effort is better than extreme, but scanty effort, so that is what I’m trying to do – to be a little more minimalist as my life permits each day.

Please share your path and suggestions. I encourage those who are trying to lessen their load as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment