Nov 8, 2011

Elegant Simplicity

Elegance and Simplicity. Not two concepts that people would naturally group together. Most people see elegant as superfluous luxury and overly concerned with image. Meanwhile, we envision the Amish, Mahatma Gandhi or farmers when we think of living simply. However, I have always believed than a simple, but elegant way of living would bring the most long term value. Minimalism, with just a small handful or possessions or living out of a backpack, though a dream and viewed with admiration by some like me, is not always attainable in the jobs that we hold or the life situations that we are in. However, as I have witnessed myself, having too many things or wanting more things leaves one with a sense of lacking and even results in frustration in having to worry for and care for so many things. I have one two many stories of trying to find things in my small apartment, which should have been a breeze, but I had too much clutter. It is also frustrating when in trying to live a simpler life, I have had to repurchase many items because I was being frugal and purchased a lesser quality. So, trying to live a simpler life seems best aided by buying the best quality and most durable items so that what you have is the best and don't have to purchase replacements often, but that you keep only things that you use regularly. I am not talking about just buying name brand items, as I have seen one too many people buy items made of inferior items just because it is of a certain brand.

For instance, a friend/acquaintance who is brand obsessed showed me two dress that she purchased at Nordstrom for over $200 each made of polyester. We have very different values and don't see eye to eye on may things, so I knew lecturing her about her choice wouldn't make a difference, so I refrained. However, I knew that I could easily get a silk or cotton no-name dress for the same price or less, which would last longer and will actually decompose in the environment more naturally than the polyester one would. Not to mention, in the production of synthetics, workers risk respiratory illness due to the fumes of making and working with synthetics. I know that silkworms are harmed in producing silk, unless you have the budget to buy organic silk, but we do have to choose our battles as our life permits.

In any case, were I in her place, I would have chosen to buy a silk or cotton dress at the same or lesser price. Even if she was hell bent on getting a brand because she felt that it is constructed better as some brands are (in her case, though she is not a bad person, she is misguided by being very ego/image centric because she often judges her & others' worth/status on the brands they wear or how expensive the items are), there are better alternatives for that price if you look, and it would add more value in terms of durability and the impact on the environment. An alternative choice like that would be a choice in line with elegant simplicity.

Check out this great article on planet green that explores Elegant Simplicity and also this article called The Tyranny of Trends in the Resurgence magazine that explores how harmful the obsession with fashion and consumerism is for the environment.

4 comments:

  1. The eye to eye diferent approach of life is very common. Sometimes we are not ready to see. But 200$ for a dress is more than average! lool

    Thanks for the 2 articles and yourself. Like a lot the new design of the blog. Wish you the best luck with this new project.

    http://minimalifestyle.wordpress.com/
    Take Care,

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Daniel,

    I agree that $200 is a whole lot for a dress! I have only spent that much on a dress once, and it was at a mom and pop's boutique, and it was made of silk. Now, I would just buy some silk for $20 a yard and sew it myself, but for those who can't sew and look for name brands, silk is pricey. If they would go to a no name store, I'm sure they can get it for $100 or less. lol. It's sad where we put stock in our value as a society these days, but I hope that more and more people question this, and are on a more sustainable, fulfilling path like you. I will check out your blog as well. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More than the cost of the dresses is also where were they made? Slave labor, sweat shop or union labor? How was the cotton sourced? And yes silkworms are killed in the process of making silk. I had them as pets as a child and I would let them become moths but that breaks the single thread that is the silk cocoon, something I sure technology could handle if we wanted to preserve their lives. So maybe a $200 dress made by workers making a livable wage in a factory sourcing fair trade (not slave)and organic cotton would be a reasonable investment. Workers who are treated well make better products than those abused and too poor to eat wholesome quality food. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ellenscottgarble,

    Thank you for reading and for your comment.

    You are very right. All these things are so important to consider. Some people are not blessed enough to have a lot of money to consider all of these things, but if we can afford to, it is important to do so. For those of us who don't have the luxury of purchasing a $200 dress, at least we should try to consume less and be less a part of the problem, and do what little we can compassionately.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete