Nov 18, 2011

Volition: Accomplishing Goals

I am not exactly the conventional type, but have tried to change that a little because practicality has its uses. Although, creative types don’t seem as practical or ruthless in the “get ahead world”, I have come to embrace myself even more now. I usually don’t like to be structure too much, and really dislike the 9-5, even though I am very hard working and passionate when I do work. Yet, living on schedule-less days have left me feeling like I have not accomplished alot. That is because I guess even for creative, free-spirited types, we still need to set goals. Don’t make the mistake of setting too many goals though because in the past when I do not accomplish all the goals I set in a day or week, I become frustrated and disgruntled, and throw out the whole idea of a schedule. Now A better alternative is to set a few present goals a day - things that need to be done, and for the rest of the day, I am free to dream, learn, write, etc. I have set 5 goals today other than blogging and cooking- hem a few articles of clothing, write two letters and prepare for mailing, spruce up my resume, organize my notes and books, read at least a chapter of a book I started weeks ago - all of which I have organized in 1 hour intervals. I planned on starting at 10 am, but woke up at 12 am, so I am now starting to accomplish these goals at 2 pm. It is important to be easy on yourself when things do not go exactly as planned, but to keep trudging forward to accomplish the goals. I have often gotten dejected in the past because I did not accomplish things in the time period that I planned, but I now realize that sometimes it is not as important how we come to accomplish goals and time is relative to a point. The most important things is to finish those goals in a reasonable time period. So if you find that you are not able to accomplish all your goals in one day, start by planning a little less until you become acclimated to a somewhat flexible routine, and most of all keep pressing forward regardless of obstacles. This can be applied to small as well as large goals as the small goals are building steps in achieving our larger goals.



No comments:

Post a Comment