Nov 22, 2011

Simplicity & Less Stuff = More Freedom


We harbor and obtain so much stuff because of trying to establish a false sense of security. As we have evolved and progressed overall as human beings in terms of human society, we have unfortunately lost touch with the part of our selves that make us free. It is that side that made us want to go outside of our caves and tribes and want to explore and learn about life, nature and what else is out there in the world. It is the side of ourselves that requires embracing adventure. We certainly do not have this freedom if we are bound by a life filled with material obsessions, being chained to a high mortgage for a big house that we are too busy working for to find time to enjoy, organizing and searching for our junk because we just have too much (caveat: I had a recent frustrating event when I was looking for my only mouse pad, but still can’t find it as it is somewhere amongst my books and papers, which I still have too much of, but realize that I need to work on ASAP. I decided to use a book instead, and think I will toss the mousepad when I find it, then it will be one less thing to think about or look for.)


I was watching a BBC special called The Human Planet, and it was quite interesting to see native cultures still living the way they do, and how little they need. Granted, life is not easy as they go days without eating substantial food, and their mortality rate is very high. However, their simplicity of life evoke a certain freedom and peace that I saw I their eyes. I agree with Abraham Maslow that we do need to take care of our basic needs in the first 2 Steps of The Hierarchy of Needs, (such as food, shelter, clothing), physiological and safety, before we can seek to be our optimal self-actualized Self. However, it seems that in the world today, we get caught up on fulfilling those basic needs to an excess where they become wants. Yet, we fool ourselves that all these wants that we have are needs. Then, we wonder how come we have so much depression, stress and unhappiness. Well, we have forgotten the last three steps of The Hierarchy of Needs, being love/belonging, esteem, and at the top, self actualization. Last time I checked, these last 3 steps don’t require money or material things, but more so time. Time is one of the most valuable thing in life. We cannot gain back our lives or the time that we have lost. However, as humans, myself included, sometimes we forget that, and spend our time on frivolous things. For some, it is material things, for some, excess hobbies and interests, etc. This is what inspired me to begin this goal of minimalism, a goal of which I still don’t feel I have reached enough, but that I am continually working on.

Reducing stuff to an arbitrary number or to have an empty hospital-looking home does not in itself give one peace. It is the act of letting go and the detachment from objects that gives us that freedom and peace. It is the freedom in knowing if you have stuff, you will make do, and even if you have less stuff, you will still make do. I certainly have steps to go, but as I have been trying to reduce my stuff over the years, I have tried to get rid of all the things that do not add value to me as a person, to my life and to the lives of the people I care about. This includes not only things, but hobbies, attitudes, and attachments. I seek to learn lessons from everything around me to achieve these goals. The most tangible way and frustrating also is to reduce my stuff.

I still have more to go in reducing my stuff, especially in terms of clothing and books. However, every week, I try to get rid of a few more. This sustained effort, like a healthy lifestyle (think healthy eating vs. extreme fad diets), is the key to success in many areas of life. Success for me would be being able to just have all my stuff fit into 5 or so suitcases, so I can just pick up and move to a new place in a few week’s notice. It is such an exciting thought.

I have realized of late that what holds me back from letting more go is guilt and fear. It is the guilt of wasting so much money in the past, of others in the world wishing they had what I have and that I plan on donating or throwing away. It is the guilt of seeing my mother who I love dearly still work and hearing her tell me not to throw things out and waste things. It is also the valid human fear of being without, of not knowing if like the natives, I will be able to have the resources to obtain things for my survival.

However, when I look at the natives in the BBC special, I don’t see half the fear in them that I and many of our society have, even though they live such stark lives, and have an 1/10 or 1/100 less than we have. Yet, they seem happy, at peace and free to have another day, another meal, time to enjoy life and their families. These are the people that inspire me and that I admire, not the multi-millionaires who own large mansions. Freedom, time and peace are truly some of life’s most invaluable gifts. I hope that you also go forth today and take a step closer to these things.

Om Shanti Om

No comments:

Post a Comment